Monday, November 2, 2009

Redefining the Vase - Dialog Vases



It isn't often that I find myself trying to make what has already been made, or a replica of pieces previously made. I've been trying to balance what I've considered to be my motto in glass for years - to never make the same piece twice - with the benefit of working in a series. There is definitely something to be said for proficiency through repetition, so I try not to under play it's importance, rather I work to balance it's use to create a refined piece. Once I feel as though I've executed the piece proficiently, it is time for me to move on to the next idea.

These vases are an example of this process. I made about three prototypes in clear to figure out the problems in the process, without committing my time and money to the color and the color prep. Then, once my assistants and I figured out most of the problems, I made five of these in various shapes and positions.

I like the idea of redefining what has been with a new perspective and approach. These pieces are sculptures, but are functional for those of us who love to find more of a purpose in what we buy than just observing the object. )

No comments:

Post a Comment